Monday, June 30, 2008

My wooden Rocking Horse..Down the memory lane

This weekend I started to look into my old papers to weed out the trash that accumulated over the years. After discarding so many old bank statements, bills and letters I came across an old envelope. I opened it and found a very old photograph of 54 years,yellowed with age.






It was a picture of me at my maternal grand mother's home, happily riding away on a wooden rocking horse. This photograph triggered my journey down the memory lane. It brought back memories of my late maternal grand mother, a pleasant old lady with a smile and a ready repartee on her lips. I still remember her snow white curly hair, umpteen stories she told me and the pure, unadulterated love she used spread on her grandchildren.It also reminded me the carefree childhood I had under the umbrella of caring grand mothers, both paternal and maternal. I never saw my grand fathers on either side. They remained as serious,stiff sepia photographs adorning the walls.

Well, coming to the rocking horse, it seems that my grand mother bought it as a present for me and it was there for a long time in her house, subsequently carrying my brothers and sisters, whenever we visited her house.

Wooden rocking horses I feel, nurture the fantasy in children assisted by innumerable mythological stories narrated by grannies. A child oblivious of tomorrow, happily rides away on his wooden horse assuming himself as a prince. The parents visualize the future equestrian prowess of their son. It is altogether a different situation if he turns out to be a betting man! It may be quixotic to recollect these things now but it was a major attraction in those days to all the visiting cousins, who also wanted a ride on the stallion. I still remember my possessiveness in those days.

For many years I was thinking that a wooden horse is a toy of the orient, but Google dispelled the myth by showing the images of wooden rocking horses of the entire globe. Each has a design of it's own. every craftsman added an improvisation of his own to make the ride comfortable and enjoyable. My son with his girl friend

I still graphically remember the smile on my wife's lips, when I told her that I would buy a rocking horse for my son. My late father, who was listening to the conversation coolly went and brought a swank sports car model for his first grand son to ride! Obviously he was more adaptable to the winds of change than me!!

That brings up the question. Should I buy a wooden rocking horse for my grandson as and when he arrives? (By the way, My son is yet to get married!)

Cheers and keep smiling!!!

11 comments:

XYZ said...

surely buy it. (By the way i would ask you to ask your own son)

But old photos are cool. Well i have very scare photos of myself in my family photo album. I am yet not uploading it. Would be happy to upload it. Actually i putted my camera in my Bua's (Father's Sister) Home at Surat. So when i will take it again will snap my photo in the camera and will put it here at some day of future.

Photos are cool. Even my father (Younger then you) do not have his photographs of his childhood. The youngest one is of his marraige.

We were not having such facilities in the villages.

But all together keep posting the new comments. Why not fix a date about your posting so that we come regularly.

Marja said...

What a lovely photo's. Sure you buy it. I bought one for my kids about 13 years ago and it was very popular.
I read that it also has a calming effect on children. I think it is also good for their imagination. There you go you can't go wrong.

Liz said...

I think a rocking horse would be a lovely gift to welcome a new baby into this world. Both my children (2 and 3) would love to have one!

I adore old photographs... but they have gotten me into trouble - like the time I inquired about the woman and children in a photo with my grand uncle. No one had told me (or his other children) that he had been married once before. Oops!

Jen said...

Hi Manohar! Thanks so much for the kind comment on my blog! I love the photograph of you on the rocking horse. I suppose it is one of those items with which kids almost universally play.

Also, as a side note, I love that you used the word "quixotic." Such a great word that isn't used nearly enough!

Take care!

A Benevolent Sultan for Life said...

Wow !!!!! This post was too too good .

Kartheek said...

Gud One Dad.....
Anna sure wud like to have it for his child... :P(his bday present maybe) ;)

Unknown said...

Hi there, tks for dropping bye. Old photos are really a treasure, it's never replacable. Happy weekend :)

K.C. said...

What a wonderful story of your grandmother. Aren't you so glad that you went through all of your bills and bank statements.

You know what.. I have to tell you this. I was having a really rough week this week and really did not feel like blogging or typing or opening up at all.

I am excited about teaching and have been reading up on "how" to teach again and thought that I should put all my focus there for the time being. I still do have my goal that I am blogging about. That is my main focus, still.

HOWEVER... I came into my blog today just to check in for the first time in almost a week and there your comment was about keeping in touch with the outside world, and it was you that gave me the inspiration to keep on... Thank you so much!

Just goes to prove that you never know how you can touch someone else's life...

Kayce

my musings said...

Hi bro! lovely that that u were able to find some old treasurable memories even if it was by chance.

For once I had been engulfed by the great desire to fathom my childhood memories too, which have been totally buried with this bzy life.I almost forgot that we all had been children once upon a time and realised that I am not allowing my child to be herself. Though, it is too late for her to have a rocking horse atleast I can compensate her with something lovely, which she could save as a treasure like how you.
Take care and enjoy blogging

Zoya Anna Thomas said...

I chanced upon your blog and found it very informative. The event blogs are striking enough to have a feel of the event, so, I would like to have a little chit-chat on your blogging interests. And even we are coming up with an event on startups on June 6th. So, can I have your contact details? Looking forward to hearing from you. Contact me at zoya@siliconindia.com

BM Anila said...

🎊old memories are so swee to go through.